Lobster Fishing San Diego
Season October to Mid March
Ever watched the show Deadliest Catch? Well, lobster fishing San Diego is kind of like that, but done in the comforts and calm waters of Mission Bay. We meet at the docks in the evening and catch the sunset as we head out to drop our lobster hoop nets. We let them soak for a bit while we hang out on the boat. Then the action begins!
It’s a race to pull the nets up as quick as you can so the lobsters can’t escape. It’s always fun when you see the net reach the rail of the boat and it’s filled with local California spiny lobsters. These guys make a tasty treat on the grill.
Trip is 5.5 Hours
We drop lobster hoop nets in Mission Bay
Trip departs in the evening before sunset
Afternoon Trip Departs at 1:00 pm returns at 6:30 pm
Up to 4 Passengers Max
All of our trips are for private fishing charters only with just you and your group on board. Each trip is captained by a US Coast Guard licensed Captain.
Lobster Hoop Nets
We provide you and your group with lobster hoop nets and all of the necessary equipment and bait to target Spiny Lobsters in San Diego's bays.
Cooler & Beverages
We keep an ice chest on board with waters and some assorted beverages. You may bring your own drinks as well and put them in our cooler. Just no glass bottles please.
We never charge our guest a surcharge for fuel. The fuel we use on your trip is included in the price of the charter.
What To Bring
- Warm Clothes: bring layers like sweatshirts or jackets, it can get quite chilly on the water. Water proof jackets are highly recommended.
- Shoes: please wear shoes you don’t mind getting wet
- Ice Chest: for your fresh catch, but please leave it in your car during our trip
- Beverages: it’s always a good idea to stay hydrated. You can bring additional beverages, but no glass please.
- California Fishing License: everyone over 16 years old will need a valid fishing license. You may get one here.
- California Lobster Fishing Permit: In addition to your CA fishing license, you will need a Lobster Fishing permit as well.
- Camera/Phone: to capture all of the fun!
Lobster Season Over?
Join Us On A Fishing Adventure!
Spiny Lobster Fishing San Diego Rules
- Bag Limits: each person hoop netting for lobsters is allowed to take home up to 7 spiny lobsters
- Legal Size: lobsters carapace must be a minimum of 3 and 1/4 inch, don’t worry we will measure for you
- Permits: Everyone must have a Spiny Lobster Report Card and everyone over the age of 16 years old must also have a California Fishing License.
How To Get Your Fishing Licenses
Spiny Lobster Report Card
Everyone on board fishing for spiny lobsters are required to have a valid form of ID (Driver’s License, Military ID, or Passport) and a Spiny Lobster Report Card. Even those who are under 16 years old. The cards are valid for the entire season. Luckily they are super easy to get online.
You can get one online click here:
Please note, you must register and be logged in (not as a guest) in order to purchase your card. Once registered, go to “purchase licenses” and scroll down to “report cards” and select “instructions to add Spiny Lobster Report Card” and follow the instructions.
California Sport Fishing License
On San Diego Fishing Charters all anglers 16 years or older are required to have a valid form of ID (Driver’s License, Military ID, or Passport) and a California sport fishing license for the day they are fishing. Luckily they are super easy to get for your fishing adventure with us. There are two options:
1. You can get one online here:
Login as a guest, go to “purchase license,” then “Sport Fishing 1 Day License (res/nonres).
Please be sure to: set it for the specific date we are going fishing, print it out and sign it.
2. You can get one at the day of your fishing trip on location at the docks.
We recommend that you go with option #1 so we are ready to go at the pick up time, and get to the fishing grounds quicker.